I was always taught to be on time. My mom is ALWAYS on time. I would hear her get up before dawn with my dad and start getting ready hours in advance. From this I learned that it was better to be on time then late. So for the life of me I could never understand why people were late to church or school or even work. If my mom, mother of seven could be there on time, so could everyone else. I never understood the old saying "Mormon Standard Time". I have a best friend who uses this excuse a lot. And it bugged me SOO much. I always thought it was disrespectful and lazy of a person to be late. I mean how hard is it to just wake up on time or leave a little earlier. My wise Orchestra teacher would always say to us when we had to come for early morning practice,
"To be early, is to be on time,
To be on time, is to be late,
To be late, is to be dead"
That is who I was....until I started college. It came to my attention my freshman year that teachers don't really care if you are late. So why would I get up early when I could sleep for a couple extra minutes. And in Singles Ward you were a loser if you were early. So me not wanting to be a loser would start by being 5 minutes late, then it was 10, it was all down hill from there. This last Sunday, Brandon and I were 45 minutes late. (I can hear my mom screaming now.) I can't blame it all on us, some crazy people decided to run a marathon right past our church, blocking all entrances.
So why am I reflecting on this? Tommorrow I start my last semester of school. I haven't been this nervous for school ever. For not only will I be going to school but working full time also. All my friends have graduated and moved on. I will be there with a new group of students. A group that has been known to be very competitive. So I have to start again, working my way to the top of the classes. No one knows who I am or how hard I have worked in the past. I am going to have to prove to my teachers and the students that I really want to be there and that I am going to be a designer. That I need to be a designer.
So tommorrow I start again, of getting up early and going to work and going to bed late because of homework. The only difference is this time my eternal best friend will be holding my hand the whole way!
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
luckily now i have PS2 to keep me busy while you study.
Mike and I broke the late record Sunday. Time changed and we didn't know. We showed up for 11:20 church that really started at 9:30 (or is it 9?).
Post a Comment