How to achieve "Mormon Style"
I was talking to my wonderful older sister a couple of days ago about how she went over to a friends house and loved the way it was decorated. The style of her friends house is what I like to call "Mormon Style". It's a mixture of traditional pieces of furniture and LDS art. It's usually achieved by having a neutral background (walls & furniture) but then having colorful accent pieces. Most "Mormon Style" house I have seen are usually variations of the following colors: red, green, browns, & golds. I already think my sister has achieved "Mormon Style" but here are a couple of my suggestions.
I really like these jars from Ikea. They are only $2.99 and are pretty heavy duty. These jars are great to display something pretty and colorful in your kitchen. I have seen them filled with fake fruit, ribbons & candy. 
Now typically in "Mormon Style" homes you will see lots of wooden signs saying "Love One Another" or "Choose the Right". But another really cool idea I have seen are Wall Decals. There are many companies out there that make wall lettering. I found this company on another design site. You can either order a phrase that they already have designed or you can customize it with a special expression.
Every "Mormon Style" home needs at least one homemade project and lots of pictures of your kids. Picture Magnet Boards are two in one! My talented sister in law made these because they are easy to change the pictures of her growing child. All you need is a magnet board, a glue gun, some cute scrapbooking ribbon (extra "Mormon Style" points if it says "Families are Eternal"), magnets and adorible pictures of your kids.
I hope this helps all of you in achieving "Mormon Style". I also suggest colorful pillows that contrast with your neutral couch & lots of Greg Olsen pictures.
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
beka- I was recently invited to a 'decal party' - I think it's the new tupperwear party.
great ideas!
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious!
There's something comfortable about "Mormon syle" even though sometimes it makes me cringe--just a little bit.
What other great ideas do you have? I need some ideas for trying to update my apartment and my hand-me-down furniture. We have a few antique looking things, but I just want it to look cool and fresh. I kind of like the old, distressed look, but I also like modern/contemporary, too. Is there any way for those two styles to come together?
HAHAH Are those pictures of Claire, Lilly, and Zane?
i love how we have a new member of the family, now. ;-)
Lilly might as well be family. We all know that she and Zane are getting married--if I have anything to do with it.
You can't go wrong with "Mormon Style" if you just buy everything at Deseret Book. ;)
Post a Comment