My senior year in high school (when life was a lot easier) was when I really started getting into music. I loved the feelings that were created when I would listen to my favorite bands. I loved watching the emotions of musicians at concerts. Like I was watching something so personal, something I wasn't suppose to see. And even now when I hear particular songs, I am overwhelmed with memories of when Brandon and I were first dating and my senior year of high school. These last couple of days, I have been trying to write them down so I can always remember. Also all the songs (except for the JEW song) listed are on the playlist on my sidebar. Please check them out. I swear they are awesome!
1. So Impossible By Dashboard Confessional
Whenever I hear this song, I still get this crazy nervous feeling. It is the same feeling I got when Brandon asked me out on our first date. It reminds me of the time when were working at the ol' DQ and he would drive me home after work, late at night and he would let me listen to anything I wanted, even though he hated my "Emo" music. We would drive around talking and trying to figure each other out.
My favorite lines:
"I'm dying to know
Do you, do you like dreaming of things
So impossible or only the practical
Or ever the wild
Or waiting through all your bad bad days
Just to end them with
Someone you care about"
2. Nightingale By Saves the Day
I have never gotten tired of seeing Saves the Day. Even though they have changed musically over the years, I still love watching Chris Conley. My number one favorite song of all time is Nightingale by Saves the Day. I know that is a pretty big statement but I can listen to this song over and over and never will get sick of it. I remember I would put this song on repeat and listen to it while I fell asleep.
My favorite lines:
"And I hope, your majesty that you like your position.
I'll do everything I can to keep you by my side
and I'll stare off through the darkness to find us a kingdom.
Just kiss me before I go."
3. For Me This is Heaven By Jimmy Eat World
I have talked about this song before. The first time I saw Jimmy Eat World (JEW) was my the beginning of my senior year in high school. I had a crush on a boy (not Brandon, yet) and he was going to this concert with some other girl. So I convinced my BFF (haha) Steven to go with me. haha Looking back on it, it was all pretty dumb. BUT besides all the craziness of me being dumb, I do remember that feeling of watching JEW. It was so peaceful. I would just sit there in awe listening to the lyrics and letting them engulf me.
My favorite line:
"This is what she says gets her through it:
"If I don't let myself by happy now then when?"
If not now when?"
4. Best of Me By Starting Line
When I was in high school, I never had this huge dream of going to a University. It just never appealed to me to spend 4 more years in school plus having to pay tuition. All though now, whenever I drive by ASU, I sometimes think that I missed out on something. Oh well. At the time, I didn't really care about going to ASU or UofA like all my friends. My brother, though, didn't find that acceptable and made me apply to BYU. All of a sudden something clicked and I was excited at the prospect of going to Utah. Not that I wanted to go to BYU (they didn't have an Interior Design program) but just the fact of getting away. I love AZ and my family. But something about being away and on my own gave me such a thrill. Anyways long story short, I didn't get accept. Which was fine because at the time, B and I were starting to "hang out". So I got over it pretty quickly and off to SCC I went.
My favorite line:
"Tell me what you thought about
When you were gone and so alone
The worst is over
You can have the best of me
We got older but we're still young
We never grew out of this feeling that we wont give up"
5. That's So You By The Rocket Summer
This song actually reminds me of the summer after my senior year. B and I were getting really serious, really fast. We both knew that he was going on a mission in a few months and were spending every second we could with each other. Somehow I conviced my parents to let me, B, Rachael (my younger sister) and Allyson (R's BFF) go to Six Flags in California for the weekend. Plus it so happens that there was a huge Ska show in Hollywood. So we left early that morning, headed towards Hollywood for this sold out show. While waiting for the show to start, B and I noticed that people were walking around asking people for extra tickets. We thought we could probably make money off these tickets and R and A could still go in and we could have an adventure hanging out in Hollywood. So we sold our tickets and told R and A to be careful (we were awesome babysitters, R was 15 and A was 17 and headed out to explore. This is the time when we found the biggest record store in the world, Amoeba Music. Long story short, on a whim I bought Calendar Days by The Rocket Summer. The whole album is awesome. Raw and perfect. Everytime I hear this album, I remember this trip and our young love. "That's So You" ended up being "our" song. The whole song is my favorite line.
It's a beautiful day,
Now I'll be ok now that you're not away.
Yesterday, was a terrible day,
And now that you're here I'm ok,
Cause you don't know,
How much I, I need you
Please don't go,
You're so wonderful,
This I swear, this I know,
You, oh you,
Every single thing you do,
I'm so proud of you,
What you do,
When you do the things you do,
They're so you.
So thanks for your help,
You shine so bright,
You are the star that's in my sky.
And I am yours,and you are mine,
Whoa you, whoa you,every single thing you do,
I'm so proud of you, what you do,
When you do, the things you do.
That's so you,
And I'm so proud of you, that's so you
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Best post ever.
Post a Comment